A list of things I should try and master. These are skills I have some experience with, but which I never went the extra mile to really become a guru.
- The piano: I was decent when I was younger, and then I quit because I didn't want to be uncool. Isn't the wisdom of youth fun :(.
- PHP: I know enough to break things, but if I could just sit down and actually develop something useful I could master the language.
- Photoshop/The Gimp: Something else I really should take the time to learn about, instead I seem to stop about five steps after Unsharp Mask
- Vi: I love it but I know about 5% of what it can do.
- Photography: I get the technical aspects, but I'm a horrible photographer. I wish I wouldn't have learned anything about f-stops and aperture until I actually learned to take compelling photos.
- Cooking: I used to try and learn something new every week or two. Then I stopped and just kept making lasagna. It is really good lasagna but I don't cook for Garfield.
- Unix/Linux: This is broad, but I know enough to figure out most problems. But I still need to figure things out, I rarely "know" the answer.
- Writing: I should have minored in English in college. Once again the wisdom of youth struck gold.
There really is no question of what I should do with this list, I should take one and spend four months working on mastering the skill. Maybe putting it in writing and publishing it will be the motivation I need.
How about you, any skills you have that you wish you would master?