It's been a while since I last wrote about the Timberwolves. After firing their head coach and placing Kevin McHale in that role I tried to continue following them. I watched the first 5-6 games and then pretty much stopped watching or paying attention as they were losing games at a ridiculous pace. Well apparently things are starting to change, since Christmas the Wolves have lost one game, and currently hold a five game winning streak.
You could definitly accuse me of being a fair weather fan in this case. I couldn't stick with the team through another awful season, and I honestly did want to see McHale fail. It's good to see some life in the team again. Randy Foye is playing like I knew he could, he's playing with confidence and slowly developing into a leader on the team. Since I havn't watched any games I am relying on recaps and box scores to piece together the reasons for this winning streak. Here are some observations I made.
- Kevin Love hasn't been scorer, but he is a rebounding machine. He has grabbed 10+ rebounds in most of the wins.
- Randy Foye was moved to the 2-guard spot and he is thriving. He consistently leads the team in scoring, and contributes a few assists, rebounds, and steals.
- Al Jefferson's stats have not changed, other than he is no longer leading the team in scoring every night.
- Rashad McCants has been benched. Other than 7 minutes in a blow out win against Oklahoma City he has barely played during the winning streak.
- One of the teams biggest weaknesses hasn't contributed to the wins. The team is still shooting under 40% on three-point shots most nights, yet they have been winning.
McHale didn't follow all of my advice, but he did stop playing McCants, and I consider that a win. Since I"m back on the bandwagon with the other 25 remaining Wolves fans you will probably see a few Wolves related posts once again